Cham Museum is located in the centre of Da Nang city. The Museum of Cham Sculpture in Danang is dedicated to this period and the Champa existence which began predominantly in the coastal areas of Vietnam.
History of the Cham museum in Da Nang
The first structure in what is now the Đà Nẵng Museum of Cham Sculpture was built in 1915. However, many of the Cham sculptures here were actually collected over the 20 years prior to the construction of this first building. Coming from sites around Đà Nẵng and Quảng Nam Province, they were brought to this site and displayed in what was then known as “The Garden of Tourane”. The collection of Cham sculpture was begun by French archaeologists and experts from L’École Française d’Extrême-Orient (EFEO). Some artifacts were sent to museums in Paris and others to museums in Hà Nội and Sài Gòn (now Hồ Chí Minh City). However, the most typical and precious objects were left here in what was then known as Tourane (now Đà Nẵng).
The establishment of a museum of Cham sculpture in Đà Nẵng was first proposed in 1902 by the Department of Archaeology of the EFEO. Henri Parmentier, a prominent expert of EFEO, was the greatest proponent for the construction of this museum. The first building was designed by two French architects, M. Deleval and M. Auclair, who were inspired by Henri Parmentier to use traditional Cham elements in the design. Over the years, the Museum has been extended twice, but the unique combination of Cham and French colonial architecture has been preserved.
The first extension was in the mid1930s, with two new galleries providing display space for the objects added to the collection of the Museum in the 1920s and 1930s. The 1000 square meters of floor space was arranged to display the artifacts of Mỹ Sơn, Trà Kiệu, Đồng Dương, Tháp Mẫm, Quảng Trị, Quảng Ngãi, Bình Định and Kon Tum. In 2002, the Museum was again extended, with a two-story building providing an extra 1000 square meters for the display of objects collected after 1975.
An overall plan for the renovation of the museum was initiated in 2005. With the assistance of the French experts of the FSP project, the renovated galleries of Mỹ Sơn and Đồng Dương were inaugurated in 2009. In 2016, a project sponsored by the City of Đà Nẵng is being carried out to maintain the buildings of the museum and to re-arrange all the galleries into a cohesive itinerary, including the main galleries for the display of Cham sculpture; a supplementary area for the display of Cham inscriptions and terra cottas; and a supplementary area for the display of contemporary festivals and the music and crafts of the Cham people today. A space for performance and education programs has been set on the second floor, and facilities in the garden for visitors’ services have been refurbished.
Good to Know
It is the only museum of its kind in the world dedicated to the Champa era and was founded during the colonial French rule in 1915. Other sites rich in Cham history include Tra Kieu, Dong Duong, Thap Man and My Son which were all famous Champa areas and are well worth a visit as part of a wider study into this fascinating period. There is an onsite shop selling imitation pieces and there are also English-language guidebooks for sale.
Planning your visit Cham Museum
- Location: At the intersection of Bach Dang and Trung Nu Vuong in Danang by the Han River
Hours of operation
- Daily, from 7.00 to 17.00
Cham Museum Ticket prices:
- 60.000 VND/01 person.
- For further information of objectives receiving preferential policy, please contact (84 0236) 3574801
Getting Cham Museum in Da Nang
- From the Da Nang airport: about 3 km to the museum.
- From the Da Nang railway station: about 4 km to the museum.
- From the Da Nang Bus station: about 10 km to the museum.
Cham Museum Services
1. Guided tours: For group of more than 5 are available daily from 7:30 to 11:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00. Please contact in advance for tour guides in English and French.
2. Free-access Information Kiosk
- Available in musuem’s opening hours
- In Vietnamese and English
3. Cafeteria and Gift shop: are open daily from 7:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m
*Free Wifi at some galleries in the Museum.
- 1. All visitors must be in possession of a valid ticket and check in at the ticket checkpoint. Visitors who are dressed inappropriately will be denied admission.
- 2. Weapons and hazardous materials (including but not limited to explosives, inflammables, and toxic substances) are not permitted within the Museum.
- 3. All large bags (including backpacks and luggage) are not permitted within the Museum. Those bags weighing over 03 kg must be checked at the Baggage Room. The Museum will not be responsible for any valuables left in checked luggage.
- 4. It is forbidden to smoke, wear raincoats, eat or drink within the exhibition spaces. Selling or advertising goods or services within the Museum without the prior approvalof the Museum Management is not permitted.Keep the Museum clean and tidy.
- 5. Banners and placards are prohibited within the Museum. Pets are not allowed in exhibition areas. Running, shouting, and other disruptive activities are prohibited.
- 6. It is prohibited to touch the artifacts, climb or sit on any part of the displays.
- 7. Flash photography and tripods are not permitted within the Museum. Special photography or filming sessions require permission from the Museum Management.
- 8. Organizing activities held within the confines of the Museum requires the prior approval of the Museum Management.
- 9. Do not pick flowers, fruits, or any plant parts from the Museum garden.
- 10. Visitors to the museum areliable for any costs or damage incurred due to their conduct, as described under applicable laws.